This morning I paid a visit to our local farmer’s market here in Suwanee, a suburb of Atlanta. I didn’t have anything specific I was looking for, other than I was definitely hoping I would be able to score myself some fresh, dreamy Jersey cow milk. Alas, although the dairy stars did not align for me today, I instead left with a variety of produce, including those plump blackberries and blueberries you see in the above photo. What a bummer – right?
I’m just kidding – you know I think those berries are fabulous! Go trot yourself to your nearest farmer’s market and get some. Or, if you’re more energetic than me, go pick some berries at one of those “you-pick” places. You know you want to.
Then, when you get home, throw this salad together for a delicious, healthy, rockstar lunch!
- 1 cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 cups of arugala
- 1 cup of blackberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 cup pitted cherries
- 1 cup feta cheese
- ½ cup cashew butter
- ½ cup good quality balsamic vinegar (if using a regular store brand balsamic, add 1 teaspoon of sugar)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Stir pecans, sugar and butter frequently over medium heat until sugar has dissolved, butter is melted, and butter/sugar mixture is sticking to pecans. This took about 5 minutes in my cast iron pan. Set pecans aside to cool.
- Divide arugala equally between four plates.
- Add ¼ cup each of blackberries, blueberries, pitted cherries (I pitted the cherries with a paring knife) to each plate.
- Add ¼ cup feta cheese to each plate.
- Sprinkle cooled pecans over salad.
- Whisk together cashew butter, balsamic vinegar and salt until smooth.
- Divide over four plates of salad.
- Serve and enjoy!